Word Count

Friday, August 31, 2007

Lunch With Friends

I don't think women leave their desks at work often enough and meet their friends for lunch. I don't sit at my desk and eat; but I do spend an ungodly amount of time in the breakroom, nose in a book, unthinkingly eating, enjoying little.

Today I went to meet Pam for lunch. This week was her birthday, and we've all been busy and haven't found the normal weekend time to celebrate her birthday. And if we try too hard, it's been known to get all complicated and nasty and very unenjoyable. Instead I was, "I'm going to buy her a book, damnit"--being Thank God, she likes to read more romances now--"and we'll go to lunch."

We met at Taj Mahal, an Indian restaurant. We hoped the food would be better than it had been at the other Indian restuarant. It was. It was awesome. It was beyond awesome. We talked, we laughed, we shared. She delighted in the fact I'd actually bothered to wrap her gift; and she cooed over the card I made her, even though I had shown her the card a couple weeks ago.

Then we started girl talking. You know the kind I mean. The kind you do out of earshot of boys because you'd get into massive trouble, especially if you're married to one of them. The talking that involves bad sex, bad dates, men who don't talk, romance novels, and on and on.

"I love my husband, but he does not talk like the men in these books." Pause. "Well, no man does...and it is fiction."

"You know, Christina Dodd says she writes men's dialogue by thinking of woman and then dumbing it down." Pam laughs so hard she covers her mouth--because I know her guilty Virgo butt is feeling bad she laughed.

"I love my husband, but he doesn't talk."

"Well, of course not. The man watches TV all the time. He has Eric for a brother. He never got a word in edgewise. He's quiet. You married the Quiet Man. This is not unusual."

"True. And don't get me started about him interrupting me while I read. He's watching the Chiefs play, so it's not like I can talk to him, but then he wants me to talk to him."

"You know why, right?" I say, ever the expert on men. "It's so he can tune you out while he watches the game. He's so used to doing that he can't watch the game without it." Pam's eyes widen at this new conspitorial truth.

"You're right!"

"So the solution," I say, "is to tape yourself talking, play that while he watches the game and you can read in peace. Plus if he says he didn't hear the last thing you said, you can just hit the rewind button. It's really a win-win."

"I like this tape recording idea."

"Oh! Oh! And in the bedroom, you can just have him read a script--and then you can play the recording as he does his thing." We fall over into hysterics. We're freaking hilarious, aren't we?

Then there is a discussion of a Geoduck. (If you don't know what it is, you need to Google it.) She had recently learned of what they are, but the guys at work explaining what they were couldn't do it--because in their words (the ones they COULDN'T say), it looks like a penis with a clam/oyster shell clamped on one end. Men. Everything looks like a dick.

I Googled this creature when I got back to work. I couldn't resist. You know what it looks like? It looks like an elephant trunk with an oyster shell clamped on the fat end of the trunk, or as I described to Pam later: it looks like an oyster swallowed an elephant but couldn't manage the trunk.

*Beevis and Butthead laugh* Heh-heh, I said swallow.

Pam said, "Well, the picture they showed, the trunk end was wrapped around the shell, that's why they thought penis."

"When in the history of penises have we ever known them to do that? In fact, I'm sure if I ever asked a man if he would or could wrap his penis around an oyster shell that would clamp down on the end--he would have bolted out of the room and called Men Abuse Hotline."

So the point of this blog is: go out and eat with your girlfriends. It's good for your health.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hellion-

I love eating out with girlfriends. It's the best experience ever. And it's even better when it's made by a hot guy! (Curtis Stone, if you're reading this, I live in Amherst, and I wouldn't mind being on Take Home Chef....)

Terri Osburn said...

So, I googled as directed. That is just not right. I love the fact that according to Wikipedia there's a college in Washington state that has the geoduck as their mascot. Bwahahahahah!

Yep, lunch with girlfriends is great. Now if only mine weren't spread across the country! LOL!

Hellie Sinclair said...

*makes note to google Curtis*


Terri, I think we had great times when we went out to eat...except for the fact they rarely got around to serving us...and if they did, they'd bring hot tea in a glass and never have fish & chips on the menu.

Terri Osburn said...

We did have a problem with service, didn't we? Then again, if you had been willing to eat breaded fish & chips and someone else had been willing to drink good old fashioned iced tea, we would have had better luck.

And they call me the picky one...

irisheyes said...

Okay, I do go out to eat with girlfriends but I don't have half as much fun as you seem to. I think I need to find some new friends!

Your observations about husbands are pretty hilarious. Are you sure you're not married? My DH never hears what I'm telling him. He's already admitted that if I want him to pay attention I have to start off every convo with "I want to f#$% your brains out!" then move on to the subject at hand. Not an easy task to assign a good Irish Catholic girl like me, but I'm trying:)

I really like the tape recorder idea!

Terri Osburn said...

I can't believe Irish just used that sort of language! LOL! But I was sure you were going to say he told you to only talk to him while you're naked if you want him to pay attention. But if you did that, I don't suppose he'd be paying attention to anything you said...LOL!

Hellie Sinclair said...

*LOL* Irish, I think that would work for the first 5 or 6 times, then after that, he'd learn you were only saying that to remind him he needed to take out the trash. You'll have to remember to change it up.

If it's something really important you need to tell him (i.e. the house is on fire and you need to leave, taxes are due, or Gilmore Girls is coming on at 7), might I suggest using the tried and true: "Honey, can I suck your d***"--because that works even better than the "Baby, I want to f*ck your brains out!"

And nope, never married. Never even dated one long enough to get close enough to that question.

Hellie Sinclair said...

Irish, feel free to come have lunch with me anytime.

And I admit the husband convo came up because she and I were talking by our cars (we couldn't bear to cut the lunch short, we were still talking)--and someone honked at us. "I think it was my hubby," she says, "either him or Mark."

"Would Mark recognize you?"

"Okay, it's probably Chris then."

"How'd he see you? I'm like blocking you."

"Actually he probably saw you--your beacon red hair--your car, then saw the midget standing next to you and realized it was me."

*LOL* Then the convo went downhill to tape recordings thereafter.

Terri Osburn said...

So you just proved you've never been married. Men are much like dogs. My parents had this dog they kept on a chain and for years she would see someone coming up the drive, run as hard as she could only to be jerked back by the chain. Then she would do it again. She kept it up for years.

Men would never catch on. Hope springs eternal. They'd just keep falling for it...LOL!

irisheyes said...

ROTFLMA, Ter! You know me so well! I blushed as I was typing, I edited several times - first removing the "c" and then the "k", and ... It took a good 20 minutes for me to press "publish your comment". Can you see now how me saying that would get him to come running? This is why I know I would never be able to write a love scene! I definitely can't talk dirty and now it seems I'm having a hard time typing dirty also! LOL

And, Hellion, thanks for the alternative phrase, but he's already suggested that one among many others! He's always willing to brainstorm on this subject.

Terri Osburn said...

You know, Irish, I like your DH more and more each time you talk about him. He sounds like someone I could be related to. LOL!

More alternative conversation starters:
Who wants a spanking?
Have you seen the handcuffs?
I'm putting KY on the grocery list.
I've got 15 minutes and a can of whip cream, you game?

Just trying to do my part in advancing communication.

Hellie Sinclair said...

*ROTFLMAO* All those are awesome...and bound to get a man's attention long enough for him to realize that was just a lead for him to take out the trash (as you've asked him to do a dozen times).

I'm cracking up at Irish! Poor girl...you know if you ever did say, "How about pizza and a fuck?"--your husband would fall down (since he obviously stages these discussions because he KNOWS you won't say it, which is all the more reason to do it in my opinion)--you can say, "What? You don't like pizza?"

You'd have the upper hand for weeks!

irisheyes said...

You guys crack me up. Thanks for your unselfish contributions to furthering the bond between the DH and I.

Ter - the comment about the dog barking and almost choking repeatedly is a very appropriate analogy. No matter how many times I told him to take out the garbage afterwards he'd still think I was serious if I started the convo with any of the above mentioned phrases. As he likes to point out repeatedly he's a glass half full kinda guy (whereas I'm a glass half empty kinda gal.)