Word Count

Friday, August 10, 2007

Flight of the Innuendo

Admittedly I was a bit depressed to be leaving Virginia and all its fine, fine scenery--and it was a very sad, Paxil popping Hellion who checked onto her flight to Missouri. I had "C" boarding, and I talked to this charming fellow who talked incessantly about the last flight he took that got struck by lightening three times and nearly crashed the plane.

I chose not to sit next to him.

However, since it was Southwest, and it was "general seating", I looked for a place to sit. Around the mid-part of the plane, there were two cute guys sitting, with the seat between them--and being I love cute guys, I asked if I could sit there. The aisle seat one jumped up obligingly and I sat.

They were not chatty. Enter more depression. I was thinking fondly of my Y108 guy...and Mark the Merchant Marine...and I thumbed through my magazine as I was ignored. Finally while up in the air (after I ran out of magazine--damnit), I broke down and talked to the young one on my right. (The guy on my left was very unchatty. I thought, well, maybe he doesn't want to be bothered.) So the young one and I talk for about 15 minutes or so. We get our snack and drink; the guy on my left doesn't even get a drink. How can you not get a drink?

The guy on my left SO doesn't want to chat, he brings out a crossword puzzle to ignore me. So I keep bothering the youngun on my right. Then finally I notice Crossword Guy is struggling...and I see a clue I know. I lean over, run my hand down the section of the page, and say, "This one is 'Grisham'."

He looks at me. I know. I've broken the cardinal rule, right, but I figure, well, screw it. He'll change planes and never have to see me again. "No, really, it's Grisham. See." He does.

"Thank you." He scribbles it in. And then it was on. We worked the crossword puzzle together. I've never had more fun working a game in my life. At the end, we're stuck...and I say, "Well the answers are on 230."

He gives me a horrified look. "We can't CHEAT." You would have thought I asked him to kill somebody.

"Yes, you can."

But we didn't cheat. We finish; we revel in our brilliance...and then because there is another 20 minutes of flight, I say, "Hey, let's start the next one."

"No, that's too hard."

"Oh, come on, what are we going to do for the rest of this flight? We can at least try...and if it's as hard as you say, we'll cheat."

And boy, did we ever cheat! We cheated like four times in as many minutes within the start of the puzzle. I started giggling madly. "OMG, cheating's bad. Once you start cheating, you just can't quit doing it."

Crossword Guy gaped at me. "I can't believe you just said that out loud!"

I laughed again. "I don't care. It's not what it sounds like..."

"I know!..."

And so it was on. The Flight of the Innuendo. We tossed back and forth really bad puns for the rest of the flight...and he decided, once he realized I too was flying to St. Louis he would take the magazine and we'd finish it on the next flight. He followed me off the plane. "I'm keeping close to you. You're the other half of my brain."

I know. I laughed hysterically too at that.

I go to the bathroom; I return to call Jackie--and I promptly tell her about Jack, from Colonial Williamsburg. "He was the best thing about this trip!" I gush, because, well, he was. I get off the phone, and Crossword Guy says, "You didn't hear me, did you?" I shook my head. "I'm the best thing to happen to you on this trip." Oh, boy.

"You're the best thing to happen to me today. I was living in the past, you see...what are we going to do now to kill time?"

THEN our flight gets delayed. Yes, Fate says, "Hey flirt with this guy..." and I do...like mad. He buys me some food and a drink. I even spit on him--which I've really got to stop doing to guys. He calls his buddy--and says he'll be late...but he doesn't tell the truth. He doesn't say, "Because our flight has been delayed..." No. He says:

"I met this redhead on the plane." There is a pause as the friend asks a question, and I'm blatantly listening...and Crossword Guy's eyes flick over me in this rake-Once-Over, then he grins and goes, "Yeah." OMG, he just told that guy I was hot! I've never been hot in my life! "Gotta go, I'm busy," he says and hangs up. Then he shares a laugh with me. "That's going to tear him up."

More innuendos. We line up for our flight--because we obviously want to sit together. We're standing next to this cute little chicky-poo who suddenly says, "You guys are so friendly and cute! How long have you been married?"

I know. I laughed hysterically at that too.

Finally after exchanging a look with him, I say, "We're not married. I'm returning from vacation; and he's returning from business. We met on the last flight--I don't even know his name."

Chicky-poo gapes at us. "You're kidding! You guys acted totally married!"

Crossword Guy grins. "I told you my name was George Jetson." I roll my eyes with Chicky-poo.

Then Chicky-poo, Bless Her Heart, says, "Hey, you're Jeff!"--and points to his boarding pass. Yes! Finally!

"And you're Cathy," I say, because I noticed hers earlier...and then I had to reveal my name...which Jeff then made a Stripes reference, in regards to my name. Nice.

So Cathy, Jeff, and I sit in the last row of the plane and finish the crossword...and Jeff & I still flirt...and it's 10 pm (an hour and a half PAST when I was supposed to come in), and...Jeff helps me collect my luggage...well, he takes me to the luggage...and I'm on the phone with my ride...and he bids me farewell. *coughs*

Did I get his number? No. Did I give him my number? No.

I should be taken out and shot. Seriously.

11 comments:

irisheyes said...

OMG, Hellion! What kind of ending is that? Has all this blogging and critique partnering and seminar attending taught you nothing about HEAs! That's not the ending I was looking for as I furiously kept reading and reading and saying to myself "He's gonna end up asking her out!"

What a bummer. Vacation let down and then that. Sorry! :(

If he's a frequent business traveller you can always stake out the airport hoping to run in to him again. Would he be worth it?

Hellie Sinclair said...

My romance writing card is going to be revoked, I know! Seriously...he walked me to my LUGGAGE! He could have ditched me...but no...he made sure I was set, then he left. WHY didn't I ask for his card?

He thought I was witty with great tits...I mean, come on! I can't get better than that.

And he was built like I love them...and had tattoos...and he was WITTY! And his eyes twinkled...and he had the crinkle at the corners...

I am an idiot.

Terri Osburn said...

Did this trip teach you nothing?!? How could you let him get away? I don't understand. Here I am offering ice cream cones when it is obvious all this one wants is ice cream cones and you let the one good catch in the entire town of Columbia get away!!!!

I'm in total shock. Disappointment beyond belief. I may actually start to cry over this one...

Hellie Sinclair said...

Well, I'm also crying over here! Damnit! We can cry in our beer together!

Sin said...

I'm crying too.

This is totally sad. I'm going on a stake out. I shall find this man and tell him that you are the best thing that's ever happened in his life (and NO DOUBT he'll AGREE with me) and I shall tell him where to find you and voila! HEA.

I'm down for some extracucular (jeez even I know the spelling is bad) private investigation. We'll say that it's research.. for a book that is! I shall not let you down in your beer. What kind of girlfriend would I be if you still had a full one to drown yourself in in the first place?

Sin said...

PS. I tried to leave a comment the first time and couldn't figure out what was going on. I was still signed into google as you. *LMAO*

Hellie Sinclair said...

I think I figured out where exactly he works. We could go look around for Tile this weekend, if you're game. *LOL*

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Hellion, I'm laughing hysterically. I know, I should be drawn and quartered, but this is so perfectly Hellion that it's too funny. Hellion, I'd so do the same thing. Numbers aren't the first thing that I think of when I'm chatting with a cutie. Tattoos, wedding rings, possible children, possible different sexual things that I'd like to do to him...sure. Number, not so much. Oh well.

I say you stalk him and figure out where he gets coffee or something. Then just conveniently end up there, maybe with a cross word puzzle...

Diana

irisheyes said...

Okay, I gotta ask... How do you know he liked your, er...upper extremities? Did he actually comment on them?

Terri Osburn said...

Oh Irish, everyone likes Hellion's *upper extremities*. LOL! They really are quite perky. Especially for a girl her age.

*ducking and running*

Hellie Sinclair said...

Thank you, Terr, for the ringing endorsement.

I admit to being clueless about it at first...but then he made a comment later in the flirtation that "ding-dinged" me into thinking: He was staring at my breasts! Then once he realized I wasn't going to slap him for admitting it, he stared more blatantly. *LOL* I figured, why not--it's not often they get THAT admired.