Word Count

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Regression

So I was at the grocery store, looking at the books (there was one about Camelot I wanted to find, Camelot's Destiny?? I don't remember), and suddenly I see IT. I squeal, lunge at the shelves, and pick up the coloring book.

Harry Potter.

Pictures from all five movies.

Clearly I must have it. I gladly pay the $5 for it, though normally I would never pay that much for a coloring book. Any coloring book. I go home before I recall: I have no crayons.

So last night I wandered over to Wally World, a box of crayons at the top of my list. Just above a roasted chicken. I broke down and bought the 96 box of crayons. I was tempted to try the 120 box, since it came in what looks like a cigar box, but refrained. Then I wandered down a few more steps, and lo, a coloring book of Pirates of the Caribbean! Poster sized floor coloring sheets, it advertised...and lots of representations of Jack. It was mine. I threw it into the cart.

Once I got home and ate my roasted chicken (discounted, no less), I started on a picture of Jack, then put it away when his boots sucked up about half my brown crayon. I pulled out the Harry Potter book and flipped through it for twenty minutes, choosing carefully which page I wanted to color. I finally picked one with Harry & Ron, and I began to color to my heart's content as I watched Flags of Our Fathers.

So...are there any childhood toys or memories you have that you can't resist revisiting whenever you get the chance? Me, I liked to draw and color. Occasionally if I'm in a park, I'll find myself hanging upside down from the nearest gym bar and shrieking like a monkey. I like to blow bubbles with my gum and pop it next to someone's ear. And whenever I see a carosel I can actually ride on, I lose my mind picking out the right horse. (It's usually a fierce black one who looks like he's going at a full gallop....)

14 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

You are so crazy. My sister is pushing 40, has no kids (unless you count 17lb cat) and doesn't watch other's kids but she is never without coloring book and crayons. And they must be Crayola and they must be like new. Not sure how she manages that.

I can't think of anything that I regress back to but I do know you are going to love the pile of stuff I have put together for you to open when you get here...*G*

Kasey said...

I love coloring and drawing too. I was the one in college that would draw weird little things and put them on my friends’ doors. Usually some sort of inside joke was implied in the drawing. I haven't had a color book of my own in awhile, but I used to color with my cousin's kids. I might have to invest in one that sounds fun. Other things that I have reverted to that I used to do as a kid are video games. I had to buy a playstation 2 and I have the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings game. I have a great Pirates of the Caribbean game too, where you can either be Jack or Will. They are so much fun!

Hellie Sinclair said...

You know I've never cottoned onto computer games/nintendo, but POTC would be the exception to this rule, I think. I mean, I'd get to be a PIRATE.

Same goes with Harry Potter. Hmmm.

Maybe I need to find a new way to procrastinate; Nintendo might be the way to do it.

Hellie Sinclair said...

I get a pile of stuff as soon as I arrive to Virginia? Hot-diggity-dog!

Terri Osburn said...

Yep. I've been collecting this stuff for some time. I bought something else today. Whoever sees your suitcase through the scanner on the way home is going to wonder what the hell you've been up to. LOL!

Kasey said...

I was definately into Nintendo as a kid, mostly because I had a friendly fued with my cousin and I always wanted to beat him.

It gets to be kind of addicting, so I ended up buying a PS 2 when they came down in price and I love the thing. The graphics are so much better than when we were kids.

Janga said...

Hellion, my sister has dozens of the Harry Potter Lego toys and action figures, including one of Harry on his broomstick that flies around the room. All the grands are jealous of her collection. We also have a Harry Potter 7 countdown calendar on our fridge.

I have a bookcase filled with children's and YA books, but I am not sure those qualify as toys.

Anonymous said...

[raises hand] My name is Diana and I am a child at heart. I color in coloring books, and I like to eat popsicles while sitting on the grass. I also like to swing on the swings and play in playgrounds. I like being a child. It's fun.

Di

Hellie Sinclair said...

Yeah! I'm so glad there are so many other kids-at-heart out there!!!

Unknown said...

I used to love to color. I remember a coloring book I had that had flowers w/ a matching sticker set so you could get the colors right. I was very big on paper dolls too, although I was never a neat cutter. I still like to collect the paper dolls in Mary Engelbreit's home magazine.

I still draw and sketch some, and have made up an alphabet consisting of animals that I do for kids' names. JASON would be a seal, a snail, a swan, a ladybug and a worm, for example.

And of course I play Scrabble.

Terri Osburn said...

Oh, I love Scrabble. I can be a kid. Really I can. I spent all day Sunday riding roller coasters. Does that count?

It helped that I had a cutie little 21 year old with me that followed me around like a puppy. LOL! I would have ridden that coaster three more times if he wanted to.

Hellie Sinclair said...

Why didn't you ride the 21 year old? I bet he would have been more fun than the rollercoaster.

Heloise said...

I'm so glad to find someone else who likes to color. Before I had kids I thought you either drew, or you didn't, but coloring is a completely separate category that deserves a little respect, darn-it. I love to color especially with colored pencils. :)

Terri Osburn said...

I admit I thought about it. But my friend has a crush on him and she was already pissed because he followed me around. And paid for stuff for me. And didn't buy her anything. Oh yeah, if looks could kill I'd be typing this from 6 feet under....

But if he was maybe 10 years older things would have been very different. And you so would have liked him. 6'3" and lanky. Looks alot like the lead singer of Maroon 5. So your type. LOL!