Word Count

Friday, June 15, 2007

Friday Music Blog: At World's End

My obsessions know no bounds. Some say I have the making of great stalker material, but I like to think I'm more along the lines of: joie de vivre.

We all know Captain Jack has been my raison d'etre--okay, probably still is. (Harry does run pretty neck and neck, but if both of them were going to get hit by a bus, I'd save Jack first.)

Last Friday, after a spectacular bit of drinking with Sin at the local Trops (I had a half pina colada, half rum rummer, which was funnily enough called: A Pain In The Ass--how apt), we roamed around a bit and ended up at the local Target. We roamed the mall; but I soon began hunting for POTC: At World's End, the soundtrack.

One of my favorite music purchases for me is to buy soundtracks. I must own more soundtracks than...well, anyone. I have a Harry Potter one, yes. But Target did not have said soundtrack; the mall closed and I couldn't return to the music store and get the lone copy they had. Sin and I parted ways around 10, and I darted off to the local Wal-Mart to find the soundtrack. (I can be very relentless in my pursuit of something, I know.)

And there it was. A lone copy--right there at eye level--and I skipped out of the store (after I paid for it) and played it all the way home. And all week, really. At work. In the car. If I had a CD player in my room, I'd probably play it for when I went to sleep at night. I went and found the lyrics for the "Hoist the Colors" song; and I sing along with the little boy in the first track. (The words are very interesting by the way.)

My favorite track is probably #11. It's the one where Jack and Davy fight on the main mast. I love that...bit...the rise and fall of it. It's so exhilirating. The track that immediately follows is the one that's for Will and Elizabeth--and it's so romantic and heartbreaking, I get choked up all the time listening to it.

Do you like movie soundtracks? Do you own any? Which ones and why? And can you listen to a soundtrack and pinpoint where in the movie we're at?

10 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

Why do you not have a CD player in your room? How Amish is that?

I have the soundtrack to Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. I love it. I got it for the Bryan Adams song but I love all of it. Of course, it's on cassette and now I don't know where it is. *makes note to find said soundtrack on CD)* I'd love to have the soundtrack to Moulin Rouge or Phantom of the Opera but I don't. For some reason I never buy soundtracks.

But I do have a piece of advice. Have sex to that soundtrack. Talk about ups and downs...

Hellie Sinclair said...

If I had sex during POTC, I'd start weeping during track 12--and everyone knows I'm not the weeper in my sexcapades--the guy is!

I have three plug-outlets for my room. (None of which allow for a three-pronged plug, by the way.)

I have a VCR/DVD & TV plugged into one set; my lamp & alarm clock plugged into another; and the third set is behind a bookshelf--and usually runs my fan. I have a "spare" but occasionally it's used to run my computer. I suppose I could plug in my CD player to it, but then I'd have to figure out where to put the dratted thing. My room is a bomb site. There isn't room to swing a cat.

Kasey said...

What you need is a power strip so that you can plug more items into one outlet. Otherwise there is this little converter thing you can by so that you can plug a three pronged cord into a two prong. They are very cheap and I am sure you can find them at Wal-mart. Just in case you want a CD player in your room.

As for soundtracks, I have a couple that I really enjoy. I have the soundtrack to Love Actually, Moulin Rouge and Dirty Dancing. They might be the only soundtracks I own but I love all 3 of them.

Terri Osburn said...

I never thought of the one for Love Actually. I'd love to have that one.

And yes, they do have these new fangled things like adapters, extension cords and power strips. Why don't you hop in the old horse and buggy and try to find them at the general store.

Hellie Sinclair said...

*side glance at Terri* har, har; and I have the soundtrack to Love Actually...so you better be nice if you'd like me to burn you a copy.

And not a comment of "Do Amish People know how to burn copies of CDs?"

Love Actually is a very good one. I went and bought Maroon 5 afterwards because I loved their songs on the soundtrack so much.

Moulin Rouge would be another great one.

I have DD--the one with both sets of songs on it. Awesome. Cry to me is my favorite song.

Terri Osburn said...

I love love love Maroon 5. Bought the new CD over the weekend and love it too. I found a link to watch them in concert on MSN yesterday and listened to the show while I *cough* worked.

Oh, would you burn me a copy? Wuv you forever if you would...

Kasey said...

I love the Love Actually soundtrack. That is how I got hooked on Maroon 5 too. I also love the song "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling. Its one of my favorites, not to mention that "Christmas Is All Around" song always puts a smile on my face.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MarcAntonia said...

pride and prejudice is really good--it gets me in writing mood... =) and, of course, i love moulin rouge and dirty dancing. how could i not, really? lol

i LOVE musicals, so i keep the phantom of the opera and chicago soundtracks perpetually on my ipod, for those times in the car when i feel like being a diva. ;)

Janga said...

I'm a huge soundtrack collector. Some of the oldies like Camelot and Sound of Music, I have owned in four formats--vinyl, 8-track, casette, and CD. I could rave forever about why I love soundtracks from Nashville, Amadeus, and Beauty and the Beast, but I won't. :) My top three favorites are all nostalgic indulgences--(3) The Graduate, (2) American Graffiti, and (1) Forrest Gump. The latter really is my life in music from childhood through maturity. And when I play these I see not so much moments from the movies as moments from my own life.