Word Count

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Body Pump

I'm convinced I was not created for exercise. Truly. I don't enjoy it; I don't enjoy sweating; none of it. I enjoy SLEEPING. If "naps" or "reading on the couch with my legs dangling off the top cushion" were considered olympic sports, I'd be a gold medalist. So it is with great surprise I tell you that I survived my first (and possibly my last) Body Pump class last night.

Now let me qualify this that the person teaching this class was subbing for the normal teacher; and the substitute is our Yoga Instructor. We would pretty much follow her into the nine circles of hell if she went; she's that good. So when she said she was subbing the Body Pump and wanted us to come, I was like, "You're kidding, right?"

My friends (traitors) all sing-songed, "Oh, that'll be awesome, Sue!" and immediately signed us all up.

Yeah, traitor #1 wasn't singing that tune when I showed up last night. "I'm so tired. We didn't promise we'd go tonight."

"Yes, you did. She said, I'll see you and you and you on Monday night at 6."

"Oh, I guess we'll go."

You bet your sweet bippy, we're going, you sadist.

So there we were. And to add to it, she made us go to the front of the class. I hate being in "classes" of any sort of athletic prowess. I suck; and I hate sucking in front of EVERYONE. It's like 7th grade PE all over again. To make matters worse, we were far and away from the door, so I couldn't just sneak out if it got to be too much (which admittedly is what I did LAST time, to a different teacher & class). I was in this for the long haul, for better or worse.

Time passed relatively quickly; and Sue, as always, was excellent at showing us how to do the movements, while making it fun and not making us feel stupid about it. And in the middle of the squats I thought I was going to die, literally die. Then after the squats were done, standing became a real chore because my legs shook like a palsied victim for the other 30 minutes of class. But I managed to do almost all of the moves for the class.

Granted today my range of motion is rather limited; and I expect (I totally expect) tomorrow's range of motion will be even less (and I have yoga tomorrow night!)--but by the end, I was rather impressed I hadn't died in the middle of the class. That I had done the moves almost as well and as many times as the regulars. I would totally high five someone right now in victory, but I can't really lift my arms (good thing, my keyboard sits on my lap, right?)

So what have you ever done that you couldn't believe you did--and you were totally proud of?

5 comments:

Sin said...

Whew! You're a brave woman, Hellion!

I'd always wanted to do that class but never thought I'd make it through the class (that's the one with the weights right?) I always watched the class.

*low five* Good job Hellion! I'm SO so so proud of you!

Terri Osburn said...

Thank goodness I have the excuse of bum knees. I could never do that in a million years. I did get pretty good at doing my pilates tape (all mat work) a few years ago and boy does that tone you up.

Unfortunately, all the tone is gone and the flab is back in place. If you could just lose weight from repeating the sentence, "I have GOT to get back to doing that pilates tape" I'd be a size 2.

Forget the high five, here's a rum runner. I even put a straw in it so you don't have to lift your arms. *g*

Who takes care a you?

irisheyes said...

Okay, now I feel really bad about yelling at you over at the Vagabonds!:(

I completely sympathize. I HATE physical activity and I really suck at it. DH is trying to lose weight and get back in shape. So, being the loving wife I am, I promised to go walking with him at ... wait for it ... 6 am! What the hell was I thinking! 6 frickin AM! I forgot that now that the kids are off school I was hoping to be able to sleep in til about 10.

Anyway totally proud of going down the highest/tallest waterslide ever. We were visting West Edmonton Mall back in the 90's. We weren't married yet and I was trying to impress him. I'm not only not very athletic I don't like water very much. So, what do I do? Go down the biggest waterslide I can find. When I got to the bottom I was white as a ghost and hyperventillating (?). He went down the slide after me, swam over to me and screamed "Are you frickin out of your mind? What were you thinking? I do stupid shit like that not you!" He then proceeded to wrap me in a towel and take me over to the hot tub. I think I really scared him.

I'll say this much, it cured me of my need to impress in the future. I'm still proud I did it, though.

Hellie Sinclair said...

I don't know, Irish, that totally Romantic Hero thing he did afterward...it might be worth scaring every once in a while. *grins*

*takes Terri's rum rummer gratefully* The pain is worse today. Bugger. I'm eating rum cake. I hope one can't get snockered after three pieces...

Don't worry, Sin, it was with Sue. You can do anything with Sue. I could probably snowboard if Sue was teaching it.

Sin said...

I love Sue. I miss her. I can't wait for a class. I'm dying for some yoga breathing here.