Word Count

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Movie Blog: The Pirate



Okay, so we all know I'm slightly obsessed about pirates. Their rakish smiles, their inability to not take things that aren't theirs, their ability to assessorize... *swoony sigh* I love pirates.

Now you may not know this, but Pirates of the Caribbean 3 is coming out in 15 1/2 days. (I know, it was news to me, too.)

In honor of this debut, I am blogging about my favorite pirates movies for the next few Wednesdays, starting with the Gene Kelly classic: The Pirate.

This movie combines both things I adore most: pirates and bursting into song for no apparent reason, while dancing in a carefully chorographed motion you just thought of.

In case you haven't seen this classic bit of cinematography, it is a classic tale about a young girl engaged to someone else--but she's in love (or fascinated by) a pirate named Macoco. A traveling stage performer finds this out (and being he has fallen instantly in love with her)--he starts posing as the famous pirate Macoco. Comedy of Errors ensues. Definitely worth the watch just to follow the story itself, but Gene Kelly in shorts, dancing across the stage and pressing Judy Garland close...well, that's not bad either.

If you have seen this musical, what did you think of it? Do you also think Gene Kelly is one of the Hottest Dead Guys around? What do you think of pirates? Good as pets or hard to housebreak?

4 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

I know I've seen parts of this movie but not sure that I've watched it all the way through. I'll throw my hat in for Gene Kelly. He has the best legs on the screen.

I'd take a pirate but he has to bathe. That's my only requirement. Well, and do other things of course.

island girl said...

Yes, I want a 'bathing pirate' too.

I've never even seen this Pirate Movie with Gene Kelly.

I'm sooooo excited to watch the PoC 3 Movie. I think I've watched too many trailers of this movie on Fandango. But it gets me riled up to watch it soon.

Anonymous said...

I to am excited to watch Pirates 3. My sister graduates that weekend and I already told her we are going to go see it Friday night when I get home. I can't wait!

I have never seen The Pirate. It looks good and I am a sucker for musicals so I might have to look for that one.

~Kasey

blÄveis said...

sight. they do not make men like him anymore. decent looking, hot, and an excepcional dancer and coreographer...i would do a pas de deux with him anytime.. anywhere..

as for the movie it is great fun, as all the movies he made.. the only thing is that it would be even greater if they had done it "on location". it has been some time since i last saw it but i seem to remember all of it is studio-made..a well painted background is still just a painting..