Word Count

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Crushes

I suffer from crushes constantly, irrepressibly, and against my will. Oh, they're usually fun for a time. For instance, Orlando Bloom is a current crush; and the cute mechanic who worked on my car at Ford is also a fond crush of mine. If you’ve got melting, puppy-dog eyes and a woman-eating-let’s-get-naked grin, I’m pretty much toast. But typically, after a certain amount of time, I don’t crush on certain people any more. They eventually get bumped from the play list like a Milli-Vanilli one-hit wonder.

Such is the topic of this blog, a one-hit wonder.

At the impressionable age of 14, I rebelled and joined the Baptist Church because the preacher’s sons were two years older than me and totally hot. (We can see my spirituality has always been in the right place.) Keith and Kevin. Beautiful blue eyes; ripped; and killer smiles. And mostly nice to a youngster two years their junior who so obviously had the hots for them—well, as nice as was possible for teenage boys could be at any rate. They moved straight to the top of Hellion’s Crush Play List. They mostly stayed there until I was 18 (though Keith was removed from the list when I was 16 and never made it back on—but that’s another blog.)

So at the top of my Crush Play List sat Kevin, the beautiful preacher’s son and nice to boot. And best of all, he remembered me. We’d occasionally run into each other—and he’d remember my name and such. (This was why he remained so high on the list. Kevin had Rock Star God status and I was a peon—to be remembered was a huge deal to me. Yes, I know, but I'm a dweeb. It's an unfortunate fact.)

I went to college and found new guys to put at the top of the play list. Kevin and I never ran into each other. All was good—because it’s tough crushing on a person. I don’t know about you, but when I get around someone I’m crushing on, the tripping heartbeat and the inability to form coherent sentences…well, it’s not good for the ego to feel like a complete ass in someone’s presence all the time. Kevin has never had the opportunity to meet the funny, witty, fun Hellion--only Hellion the Tongue-Tied Twit.

But Hellion, you say, you're older and wiser now...and we know damn well, you're funny. Funny you should say that--here's the point of the blog.

So I’m at the gym (I swear 90% of my stories start with these five words) and I’m on the elliptical—and on pops a commercial. One of those ones you know were locally made—it’s low-tech, cheesy, not impressive…and there is Kevin! In the commercial!

I suck in air, grasping the TV, gurgling and pointing at the screen. He looks the same—just as hot, unattainable, and flashing that killer smile. I move up on the articulate scale from gurgles to squeals that perhaps a hamster could have interpreted: “Look, Kevin is on TV! I had a crush on him in high school! I thought he was so hot!” Unfortunately my friend Holly is unable to speak hamster and simply thought I was having a heart attack.

“What? What? TV? Are you okay?”

Frustrated she could not interprete my clear joy and enthusiasm at seeing Kevin, I waved her off and stared at the screen, not wanting to miss a second of him. He's there with his wife (she’s pretty); and I thought, “Gosh, I’m glad he found someone. He’s so nice; I hope she’s nice.” And the commercial ended and I was very, very, very happy that this had not been a real life run-in since I’m pretty sure Kevin doesn’t speak hamster either…and I would really hate to hear these kiss-of-death words, “Hellion! You haven’t changed a bit!”

Then I had a post-commercial low of “You complete geek. A 30-second commercial and you’ve flashed back 15 years to Moronville (or perhaps Hamsterville.)” This low was complete with self-recriminations of “You’re still single” and thus “still a loser”, which I tried to stem off like an EMT trying to tourniquet an artery. Too late. (I swear, if I could put a muzzle on my Inner Critic, he’d be thrown in the dungeon never to see the light of day…but again, my Inner Critic is another blog.)

So do you have any crushes from your past that send you back to the 16-year-old you still are inside? Do you believe the happiest marriages are those with people you meet in your childhood? Did you ever like Milli Vanilli?

6 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

I am the complete opposite. I almost never get crushes. I'm sure it would take therapy to find out why and I'm not willing to make the investment.

I do have one from the past. Sr. year of HS. I was in the geek squad before that was a cool thing. Popular jock type guy pretends to show an interest. I'm convinced it's a Carrie type thing. I blow him off rudely only to find out he was serious. We spend the rest of the year pretending we can't stand each other. I'd catch him staring, he'd look away, I'd look away.

I saw him at the reunion 7 years ago and it was like not a moment had gone by. LOL! Then I saw him about a year ago back home at a carnival. Exact same reaction.

I really wish I could be a grown up but that is apparently out of the realm of possibility. *sigh*

Henri de Montmorency said...

I know not Milli Vanilla. Is that an ice-cream dish? I have had crushes in my past and still have crushes. I do have one love that is in the past. She is the reason I was beheaded. Remind me to talk about this on my blog one day. It saddens me, but I do not mind talking about it. I still see her from time to time, but it is hard to summons her to this realm.

Au revoir,
Henri de Montmorency

Anonymous said...

Dearest Henri,

Too bad I wasn't the reason you were beheaded. I would have totally made it worth your while. But alas, I was not. I never get to have any fun *sigh*

My dearest Hellion,

You ARE NOT A LOSER! Stop saying that! I'm going to beat you. You are a wonderful wonderful woman! I can't think of any woman better than you! You are sunshine when it's raining. You are hilarious when the rest of us are gloomy. And you are the kindest, most compassionate human being I've ever met! Stop talking yourself down! *hrumphf*

I once had a crush when I was sixteen. Eventually I slept with that crush only to find out he was engaged to be married (and I didn't know it) to a evil spiteful woman, whom I didn't mind destroying what she had. This is why you don't piss me off. Sometimes I don't have a conscience and anything goes. I shall go to hell when my soul passes on, but I like to think my life was worth it.

Sin

MarcAntonia said...

oh, goodness...i have had crushes constantly since i was about, oh, 16. but lately, the object of my affections has moved his affections elsewhere. it wasn't a crush to begin with. =( he has just, within the past month or so, decided i wasn't what he wanted. so, i guess you could say that its developed into a crush. which sucks. royally.


...and, even though i shouldn't like him, AT ALL, i still have feelings for him....



*anyway*....i'm sticking to my position that crushes suck. period. because the feelings aren't returned and, in the end, does just that. it crushes you.


...or at least, that's been my experience....

Hellie Sinclair said...

Marcantonia: Amen, sister. But remember Margaret Fuller--"To me it seems that it is madder never to abandon one's self, than often to be infatuated ; better to be wounded, a captive, and a slave, than always to walk in armor."

Terri: you are ever practical. I don't believe you would have crushes on unavailable men...but you are surprising, so who knows what you'll do next.

Henri: Darling! I am honored you visited my blog! I would love to hear more about your True Love. Please blog about it soon.

Sin: *hugs* Thank you. And you would never be sent to Hell. For one, you're far too sweet; for another, you'd probably try to mother Lucifer and feed him milk and cookies...which would cause him to lose his rep as a badass. It's Hell for the company, Heaven for the climate...

island girl said...

Maybe my story is too much of a fairy tale (atleast in the beginning). But I did have a crush on a football star. He went all state...yadda yadda how the life of the popular kid goes.

For Prom all of my friends asked if I would go out with him. Apparently, he had been asking my friends what I thought.

So, I get my hopes up. He never asks me. I still get asked out to Prom and Mr. Football Star brough a drop dead model for his date. I've never felt so uglier in my life.

I've learned not to stake what "he says" anymore. If it happens it happens. Nothing more.

After High School he went away for College on a full ride football scholarship. OF COURSE.

He writes to me while away at Oregon State and confusing me even more. I don't trust his words anymore.

He comes home for Christmas Break and asks me to be his girlfriend.

I was an idiot I didn't deny him rightly.

And Mili Vanili -- them I know!! Is that bad?