Word Count

Monday, February 26, 2007

Mouse Trap

“And, after all, what is a lie? ‘Tis but the truth in masquerade.” --Lord Byron

‘Tis an intriguing platonic affair we’ve indulged--
Never have you known such a woman as I.
I’ve many secrets, yet my mystery’s divulged.
‘Tis amazing how much Truth can fit in a lie.
My green eyes are wicked, feminine and bold;
My smile’s the oldest tale ever told.

I’m like every woman you’ve charmed with your line
And yet there is something you can’t seem to grasp…
It drives you insane, but you say that you’re fine.
You swear this next flirtation will be our last.
Eve never gave trouble like I’ve given you
And you’re hoping I’ll surrender sinfully too.

Oh yea of little faith, when my Virtue’s too strong,
I’ve been known to convert at the drop of a hat.
When you’re tired of cat-and-mouse, you’ll see that you’re wrong--
That it’s all about the Mouse who ate up the Cat.
Nothing is ever quite what it seems.
You’re not devoted and I’m not made of dreams.

Ah, it’s an odd little affair we’ve created I’ll say
Not likely to last much longer you bet
For what use is taunting you all of the Day
If I don’t make your Night something ne’er to forget?
Ah, this Mouse is ready to set her bait.
All the Cat must do is lie and wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. Really beautiful. I loved it. Thanks for sharing it :)

Hellie Sinclair said...

This is the Eric (a.k.a. "Ben") poem. Well, he's kinda like Ben, if he had a heart. And a conscience. And a soul...but the poem is still about him. (Eric's a Leo...hence the cat references.)