Word Count

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Stranger Than Fiction: Movie Blog



I love movies. I love to rewatch movies; and I adore DVDs because I can immediately rewind bits of it and watch something again and again. When Stranger Than Fiction came to big screen, I, of course, went. A writer with writer's block who is inadvertently going to kill someone who actually exists? Front row, holding popcorn, don't talk to me.

The dialogue is hysterical at times; the characters are real and heartbreaking and wonderful. We all wish we could write characters that are as big as life as Harold Crick, who is admittedly the most boring, reviled man on the planet--and yet, you can't help wonder what will happen to him and love him for all his quirks.

The scene where he brings Anna the "flours" to apologize--I cried. I mean, flowers are a thoughtful gesture to begin with; but flours for a baker? That's the most romantic thing I've ever seen. And then she invites him up to her apartment, and he sees the guitar and she suggests he play a song. "I won't laugh." No, he says, maybe some other time. She doesn't press, but when she goes to the kitchen, you see him think about it. After all, this is a movie about the imminent death of Harold--and he realizes, he might not have another time to play her his song--and so, he plays it. It's shakey; it's a bit painful; and it's heartbreakingly sweet and romantic. And I definitely started crying again.

So this blog is for Harold, an inspiration to all us boring, reviled non-heroes who are just living our normal lives when it suddenly occurs to us that we don't have forever. "When I was young boy, my mother said to me there's only one girl in the world for you. She probably lives in Tahiti. I'd go the whole wide world, I'd go the whole world just to find her...."

And because Harold is in love with numbers:

POTC3 comes out in 36.46 days, or about 5 weeks, and 1 1/2 days.

Eloisa's new book comes out in 40.46 days.

The new Ranger book comes out in 61.46 days (2 months, 1 1/2 days)

JQ's Secret Diaries comes out in 68.46 days

Harry Potter vanquishes Voldie in 93.46 days. (3 months, 3 1/2 days)

Sherrilyn Kenyon's next Darkhunter book is out in 110.46 days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Stranger Than Fiction! My favorite part was when Harold sang her the song too! I thought it was so sweet.

I am also counting down to Pirates, Harry Potter (movie & book - July is HP month for me!), Julia, Eloisa and Sabrina's next books. It is going to be an amazing summer. Unless Harry dies - then I won't be good company for at least a month.

I just thought I would stop by and check your blog out.

Kasey

Hellie Sinclair said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kasey! :)

I'm going to be inconsolable if Harry dies. *LOL*

Élodie said...

Hellion,

I absolutely love Stranger Than Fiction. I bought the DVD before I even had seen it. I just knew it was going to be great.

I'm doing a theory project on it right now about narratives and narratizations. Love it!

:)

Élodie