Word Count

Friday, April 20, 2007

Friday Music Blog, a Possible New Routine

I thought I would start a routine. Mondays are probably “Random Hellion Topics” and Wednesdays would be my movie blog; and Fridays, joyful, wonderful perfect Fridays would be music. *hops in the air like King David*

This week since I’ve been on such a Stranger Than Fiction kick, I thought I would focus on my favorite song from the movie, “Whole Wide World.” If you’ve known me more than five minutes, you know I obsess easily. POTC comes to mind. (5 weeks, guys! FIVE WEEKS! 35 DAYS!) And if I fall in love with a song, I will play it over and over and over again. Case in point, in college, while dying my hair (which is approximately a 45 minute process), I put George Strait’s Famous Last Words of a Fool on repeat as the girls were dying my hair. Around minute 43, my friend Nicki, who is unaware a ‘repeat’ button exists, asks, “When does this song end?” (*sounding faintly desperate, faintly depressed*) “Oh, I’m sorry, I have this on repeat. It’s been playing again and again.” Nick’s face was actually quite priceless in that moment. I’m still not allowed to play that song in her presence.

Such is the case with “Whole Wide World.” I wasn’t content with just getting the movie. I had to buy the song. Then I put the song on repeat one day, and had my door shut (so the co-workers wouldn’t catch on)—and listened to it in absolute bliss. The song is 2 minutes and 59 seconds long. There are 480 minutes in an 8 hour day; so I got to listen to approximately 160 times. Before anyone starts sending me Xanex for my OCD, I *did* put the song into a mix of songs the next day. So now I only get to hear it about 7 times a day.

Now that everyone is thanking God that they don’t actually have to hang out with me in real life, let me repeat that moment in the movie when Harold sings this song is so sweet…and sexy. He has his eyes closed, he’s not a great singer—but Ana watches and we see her start mouthing the words with him. “I’d go the whole wide world, I’d go the whole wide world, just to find her…I’d go the whole wide world, I’d go the whole wide world to find out where they hide her….” Then Ana sits by him, he sings another half-verse and she attacks him with a kiss. Which is good because I was getting ready to attack him with a big wet one if she wasn’t going to!

And if anyone watches How I Met Your Mother, there is an episode that features a song that plays over and over again—and it’s quite funny.

Is there any song you don’t get tired of? Why? What magic does it conjure for you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Hellion- I found your blog through the EJ/JQ BB. And it's funny you mention "Whole Wide World." I used to love that song. The Monkees sang it once, and though it's probably not the best version, it's so darn catchy!

As for songs I don't get tired of... I am a total music junkie so I can never pick *a* favorite. One would be Moonlight Serenade by Glenn Miller. It reminds me of my grandfather and the music he loved, but it makes you want to hold someone and slow dance around the room. Sentimental Journey is another (with Doris Day's vocals). I always sang it to my daughter when she was little (she's a very mature 6 years old), but the lyrics just speak to me. Lest you think me an old fogey, I do listen to all different kinds of music. I'm just terribly sentimental it seems. But if I'm ready for fun I like "I'll Be (500 Miles)" by the Proclaimers.

Terri Osburn said...

Oh, Sarah - I never get tired of that Proclaimers song. If you really listen to the words you realize it's quite romantic.

I never get tired of songs like Neon Moon, Little Moments, The Man in Love with You. Basically, Country love songs. Lately I either play Michael Buble or Daughtry on a loop. Those CDs are just great!