Word Count

Friday, March 28, 2008

Watercooler Talk Friday

The boss is out of town today, so there were several moments in the day where my ass actually wiggled out of the office and talked to the co-workers.

First topic of discussion was very important. I sent a co-worker to go look at the movie trailer for The Love Guru. Clearly an Oscar-nomination worthy flick coming out in June--and if anyone should get the Oscar nod, it should be Justin Timberlake, who is going to be the sole reason I'm watching this flick. Plus the site had the quite memorable quote of the day: "If you're happy and you know it: think again." That's my mantra, baby, right there.

The rest of it...well I was *going* to talk about but it got too long, too heavy, and displayed way too much of my ignorance about China-US relations. Clearly though I prefer to not worry about the direction the boat (America) is headed and will just play my fiddle to the best of my ability until the damned thing hits an iceberg and sinks itself.

The question of the day boiled down to this: when it comes to November and you head to the polls are you going to be voting FOR someone? Or are you going to do what most of us will be doing, "I'm not voting to FOR someone, it's more like I'm voting AGAINST someone." None of us knew who we wanted to voted for. All the options frightened us. And frankly I'm going to think it's a miracle if Bush doesn't get us in another war before he leaves office.

8 comments:

Kelly Krysten said...

The Love Guru looks so funny. I can't wait til it comes out. Then we can quote it and Taladega Nights!!lol.
And I'm definitely voting against someone this year, which is sad,for me, to say since I dearly love politics.

Kasey said...

That movie looks great, and the Justin Timberlake part was classic,

As for the polls. I have no idea who I plan on voting for yet, but I will probably be doing the same, voting against the person I really do not want in there.

Terri Osburn said...

I'm afraid I don't like either choice. Not 100% anyway. We'll have to see how the general election goes. But what always amazed me is that in a country like ours, we always have to choose between two. That's it. Two.

And those two are almost never the best choices. So depressing. *sigh*

Not a fan of the Love Guru kind of movies but I may have to see this one. I'll just listen to my iPod until Justin shows up on screen. LOL!

irisheyes said...

I'm afraid it's going to be a voting against who I don't want kind of election process this year. Politicians in general creep me out and I don't really trust any of them. Is it a sign of our times or is it the nature of the business?

They had a special on the History Channel a year or so ago about the founders of our country and what they were REALLY like. I started watching it and then for some reason they stopped airing that show.

Being so into reading historical romances and history in general I wonder if all the guys around when our country was founded were as unprincipled and unscrupulous as the politicians we have today. Some say they were worse!

Unknown said...

My feeling is whoever we wind up with, it's GOT to be better than the past 8 years. I don't know who's best equipped to sweep up the mess, though.

Terri Osburn said...

I'm with Maggie. Though it's dangerous to ever think it can't get any worse.

Fingers crossed!

Hellie Sinclair said...

Irish, I know what you mean. *LOL* I mean, who doesn't like Thomas Jefferson--he's iconic--founded the Democratic-Republican party (I think it's a RIOT they were a combined party at one time!), yet when he and Adams were running for president, they were neck and neck. Adams won, but by the skin of his teeth.

You sorta sit and go, HUH, I wonder if they really are a LOT like the ones running now and it's only now, 200 years later, we see that the stuff they did was beneficial.

Yeah, I bet the History Channel stopped running that one. *LOL*

Hellie Sinclair said...

I don't know, Maggie & Terri. Anyone who wants to step up and clean up the mess that's been made must be a lunatic--and do we really want a lunatic running the show?