Word Count

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Old Obession Thursday

Normally I don't write on my personal blog so often, but clearly I'm procrastinating on...well, everything.

And the Daylights Savings Time has totally #(%)*#()$#* up my week.

So I was up till 1 am finishing Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows--there is a certain point of the book where you literally can't put the book down, you have to start doing stuff one-handed and hope you don't, oh, crash your car and stuff.

So I've finished up the annual "Christmas" read of all the books, which is basically what I've done since I've started the series. Harry Potter is very...well, Christmasy in the way. Christmas is a big deal to him--so I read them at Christmas.

I read The Goblet of Fire for what, the tenth time? I honestly don't know; and in book 3, Harry acquires a map. In Goblet of Fire, a professor BORROWS this map and doesn't return it. Seriously. I realized suddenly he doesn't have his map back by the end of this book; and in book 5, when Harry is clearly holding the map once again, there is no explanation HOW this occurred?

So I'm calling out to other fans, does anyone *know* how he got the map back? Did I misread my 10th reading of book 4 and my whatever reading of book 5 and he did get it back?? Please help me. It's been driving me mad, and MuggleNet Staff won't return my emails.

7 comments:

Kelly Krysten said...

It seems to me that JK answered how he got back the map at some point on her website. But it definitely was not in the book. I think the real mad eye or someone like that gave it back to him. JK wanted everyone to just assume this I guess.
I didn't read anymore of the books after the disaster of book five. I loved serius(sp?). Should I try out the last two?

Marnee Bailey said...

First, Hellion, I'll try to research for you. Maybe this coming week. I need to do my annual reread of the HP series anyway...

And Kelly! Good heavens, child. Get thee to a bookstore. The last two are the BEST out of the seven and I personally think Deathly Hallows is the best of all of them.

Kelly Krysten said...

Ok Manee, calm down.lol. I'll check them out. I loved the Goblet of Fire so if the other two are better then wow.

Marnee Bailey said...

Yeah, better. I didn't like Order of the Phoenix, but some people loved it. I think Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows are the best. There's a heartwrenching scene in Deathly Hallows.... Cripes, I wanna write like JK Rowling.

Kasey said...

You know after you said that I don't remember how he got the map back. At first I thought you were talking book 3 when Lupin gave it back and then I reread your blog and was like wait, how did he get the map back after it was borroed in GOF. I feel like I should know but I don't...I hope someone figures it out and answers that question for us.

I didn't like OotP at first, but after rereading it a couple of times it is one of my favorites because Harry goes through a lot of personal growth in that novel. I thnk DH is my favorite but it is so hard to chose, I love them all.

Hellie Sinclair said...

Deathly Hallows. When he goes into the forest to face Voldemort...I just start crying. I want to write like JK someday too, Marnee. *LOL* I cry every time I read that scene.

And Snape!

DH is the best book, but I loved book 6 too. Book 4 was my favorite for the longest time, until 6 came out...and then, of course, 7 surpassed it. Great work. I'm so glad they're making 7 into 2 movies. I don't know what they'd do otherwise.

If anyone figures out the map thing--(Kelly, you say it's on JK's website??)--let me know.

Hellie Sinclair said...

Kelly is right...and Terri found it for me. Thank God! Why would I assume Harry'd get it back? *sighs*