Word Count

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Meet Lucy

Lucy is clearly a side character, though Lucy being Lucy, he does have a thing about stealing the spotlight (I'm pretty sure he's a Leo, bless him). Therefore, even though this book is about Adam & Eve (don't tell him, he still doesn't know the title isn't called "Lucifer: Finally My Side of Things"), I thought the first excerpt should be about Lucy.

This scene takes place the day after Adam, Eve, and Lucifer arrive to Las Vegas. The hows and whys they got there are detailed in the previous chapters, but let's just say: it's Lucy's idea. Lucifer, as you might imagine, has his own and clear agenda. The devil has made his own deal with well, his own devil...and now he's got 40 days to reunite Adam & Eve to wedded bliss. If he fails, oh, well, at least he had fun in Vegas, right? He can remember that while serving eternity (again) as that snake.

In the mean time, he'll work his plan, which is "Give them what they want" and "Make sure what they think they don't want is forbidden." And he'll start with Eve, because she at least is still speaking to him.

“It doesn’t matter if I did or not,” she replied coolly. “It only matters now that we’re divorced. Of course I loved the father of my children. He was a great father and a good provider.”

Lucifer cupped his hands behind his head. “Really? That’s weird. I always thought he was an unmitigated ass. And considering how he blamed you for that whole garden debacle, I think it’s really great you can think of him so fondly. The fact you’re carrying a torch for him now is a bit much….”

“I am not carrying a torch for Adam!”

“Oh, you clearly are. You’re still in love with him. Which is so tragic since he’s so clearly over you.”

Eve reeled as if slapped. “Excuse me?”

“I know. I wouldn’t have believed it either. I mean of the pair of you, I would have thought the situation would be reversed. Adam much more likely seems to be the torch carrier. I suppose, though, if you really want him back, you can just dally about, pining like some pathetic wallflower, and reunite with him back in the Garden of Eden. I mean, he’s made it clear how forward he’s looking to doing that.”

“I am not pining!”

“Never mind the 1001 ways to fix mangoes, which I’m sure is in your repertoire.”

“I am finding a new husband!”

“Of course, there is the possibility of Adam finding a wife in the next forty days.” Lucifer grimaced. “That would be awkward in the Garden, wouldn’t it? The new wife and the old?”

At Eve’s dirty look, Lucifer sighed theatrically. “Listen, I’m an avid watcher of American TV, and I can’t tell you the number of desperate women there are in the 21st century. I grant you it’s one of my favorite reasons why I’m here, if you get my drift. And where else would they be most desperate but in a city with more wedding chapels than liquor stores? And I hate to admit this, but Adam isn’t that bad looking of a guy. After watching a few seasons of The Bachelor, I have to concede, it’s probably going to be like shooting fish in a barrel for him.”

“As opposed to me?”

“Well, you’re not exactly in the first flush of youth.” Lucifer rocked his hand. “I mean, you’re not bad. No one is going to kick you out of his bed for eating crackers or anything, but it’s like the difference between George Clooney and Jennifer Aniston. Women are dying to marry George Clooney, but the same does not hold true for poor Jennifer.”


Sweet, isn't he?

5 comments:

Renee said...

This is great! I love your take on the whole Adam & Eve in the 21st Century. And Lucy sounds very interesting.

Terri Osburn said...

Hard to believe but Lucy gets BETTER from here. LOL! He is a character for the ages.

PS: veriword is FIRES. Coincidence? I think not...

Julie said...

“Really? That’s weird. I always thought he was an unmitigated ass."
Loved that line. And I agree, lucy gets better & better.

Thanks for posting an excerpt.

Julie said...

BTW my husband is a Leo...

Hellie Sinclair said...

Thank you, Renee! :) Lucy gets funnier, really. But then Adam and Eve are sorta entertaining too...I haven't like characters this much in a long time.

Terri, I wasn't sure which clip to choose for him, but I'm sadly and vainly drawn to the Jennifer Aniston insult. *LOL*

Jules! (Well, it helps that Adam IS an unmitigated ass. I should post his clip next. He can be insanely naughty.)