Word Count

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I Ain't Superstitious...

Okay, so maybe I am. Sue me. But I'm not the only one with this superstition, and if you had my childhood of adults over the age of 50 who kept dropping off like flies, you'd start believing it too, even if you and your entire family were healthy as oxen.

Death happens in threes.

I guess we figure if He's going to show up for one person, he should make it his while and come for #2 and #3, and if you have any sense, you find them quick before he makes you a designated hitter. By no means, do you want to be who Death comes for to round out his numbers.

So in mid-December, a co-worker, Pat, died. She was 77--and a spunky, wonderful lady--and gracious. She would always listen to what you said, and if she didn't agree with you, she's smile in a bit of sweet gentility and say, "That's nice, but this is how we're going to do it." And you did. You were glad to do it her way. She never said an unkind word--well, maybe she did--but it was nothing that the rest of us weren't already complaining about. She'd smile, exasperated, say something gracious and Southern, and then go about her business. She was a corker.

The first one is never really a pattern.

But then my great-aunt Lena died. She was 102 (almost 103) and granted, while she is older, she still was pretty hale for her age. And had all her mental capacity. And capacity for about a dozen or so of her relatives, not to make too fine a point on it. Opinionated, proud, productive, and a sweet-tart (no, not sweetheart--sweet-tart. If you'd been on the business end of some of her remarks, you'd understand)--she was a CORKER.

Okay, *now* we have a pattern. So we look for #3.

And now Heath Ledger is dead. Now I'll grant you I didn't know Heath personally. We're not what I'd call bosom pals or anything, but as with celebrity, you feel like you know them. You spend more time watching their films than looking at family photos--and you feel like they are your bosom pals, so it's a big deal when one of them dies. It's a huge deal when one of them dies and they're younger than you! Okay, younger than you *and* not of any disease other than possible stupidity and tragedy.

I know, I know. *throws salt over shoulder* Don't speak ill of the dead, but if it is a drug overdose, you rather have to question what was going on in his head at the time--and possibly the ones who are supposed to be keeping tabs on young, talented actors? (Britney, anyone?) You'd think they would have started monitoring the sleeping pill situation a bit when Marilyn died--but no....

Is anyone else superstitious about death? Anyone else floored by Heath's death? Anyone else suffer from the same problem as I do about celebrities--you think you know them better than most family members?

5 comments:

Terri Osburn said...

My family has the "they go in 3s" thing as well. But not just in the family, my sister does it for celebrities as well. A couple of weeks ago I received word that a wonderful man I worked with for more than six years had passes away. Harold was stubborn (smoked like a chimney), upright (served in Korea and had never been drunk a day in his life), in love with his high school sweetheart (they were the perfect match), and one of the sweetest men I ever had the pleasure to know.

But I didn't think of the three thing when I heard about his passing. That's more my sister's thing. I was just sad.

I'm not superstitious unless you open an umbrella in my house or try to make me walk under a ladder. LOL! BUT, black cats can cross my path and I don't mind broken mirrors. Wait, I take that back. No broken mirrors either. So I'm sort of superstitious.

Hellie Sinclair said...

I don't mind black cats. They're cute.

I do think the ladder thing is just hazardous, more than a superstition.

I'm not sure about broken mirrors.

Kasey said...

I've also always felt that death happens in 3's. This last year was the worst year for it. I lost my great uncle, two weeks later my grandpa went, then a little over a week my grandma passed away (they said she most likely gave up living after my grandpa died...neither of them were in good health), and then I lost two more great uncles. Hearing that Heath Ledger passed away would make the sixth death since September. I really hope it stops now. Your right...when a star like that passes away it is almost like a friend died because you spend so many times rewatching their movies. I still can't believe he is gone.

Hellie Sinclair said...

Kasey, I'm sorry to hear so many losses for you and your family. I hope this is it for some time for you as well! :)

And I still can't believe it. I watch stuff about Heath lately likely a president has died or something...it's crazy. I'd say it was because he was young, and partly it is, but I was equally devastated when Gene Kelly died in 96 and Frank Sinatra died in 97....

Terri Osburn said...

Just realized we talked about this "in threes" thing. Found out early Jan a former co-worker died, then found out a guy I knew through a friend died. Very young and such a great guy. Dang shame. Now I was just told last night that a woman I knew back in AR probably would not make it through the night. Haven't heard for sure but that would be three. Gosh, this is depressing.